wow! we’ve got overloads of tomatoes even though we’ve been eating them fresh, putting excess on the honesty stall and using them in our food events as well as the local harvest dinner & Pete’s tomato sauce.
This recipe for red tomato chutney is from here (but roughly trebled in volume) making 14 average sized jars (haven’t tried it yet as am letting it sit for a month).
9tbsp sesame oil
30 oz coarsely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
9oz grated ginger
5 red chillies deseeded and cut into strips
6 pound firm red tomatoes, peeled and de-seeded
12oz soft brown sugar
24 floz vinegar (16 floz red wine vinegar + 8 floz cider vinagar)
3 tsp mixed spices – ground cardamon, turmeric, nutmeg, paprika
3oz chopped fresh mint
- Fry the onion, garlic, ginger and chillies until the onion starts to colour.
- add the tomatoes and cook for fifteen minutes. (I have a glut of cherry tomatoes, and life’s too short to peel an de-seed them..so I just chop them.)
- Add the sugar and vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Boil until thickened, for about thirty minutes. Remove from the heat
- stir in spices and mint.
- Ladle into hot jars. It is ready to eat in one month and will keep for a year.